Flutter 1.17 New Features & Dart 2.8 is out now!
Read- Why should CTOs choose flutter for app development?
Flutter 1.17At the start of this year, Google had announced significant changes within its release process. As per the tech giants earlier process, there wasn’t any clarity regarding the build status, code used, and a lot more. Currently, Google aims at delivering stable releases on an expected quarterly cycle. Such a plan posed several challenges since the release infrastructure required major revamping to accommodate a new release process. Flutter 1.17 has been launched across a stable channel for assisting developers. It is interesting to know that Google has blocked 6,339 concerns troubling the initial Flutter 1.12 release. Apart from bug fixes, the latest version of Flutter is loaded with other vital benefits such as performance improvements, better metal support on iOS, and the latest material widgets. Let us take a look at these aspects to get a clear insight into their advantages:
Performance EnhancementThe software apps built using Flutter 1.17, when compared to older releases, exhibit a 20 to 37% speedup in default navigation exhibition. Furthermore, apps developed using Flutter showcase substantial improvement when it comes to app sizes.
New Material WidgetsThe latest Flutter 1.17 version has successfully added new support with Material widgets. Moreover, there are additional updates with existing widgets as well. For example, developers get useful assistance from NavigationRail for adding receptive app navigation to the applications. This feature is helpful to switch between desktop and mobile form factors without any hassle. You can even see that TextSelection and DatePicker overflow widgets are also updated in Flutter 1.17. The availability of new visuals within DatePicker is similar to restructured Material guidelines. It includes the presence of the latest text input mode. TextSelection, on the other hand, offers better fidelity for Android and iOS. It is also updated that Google is delivering a new Animations Package which comprises of pre-built animations which deploy the new Material motion design.
Metal SupportMetal is basically Apple’s graphics API that almost offers direct access to the fundamental GPU concerned with iOS devices. At present, Flutter by default, uses Metal for building supported iOS devices. This collaboration makes Flutter apps operate faster. The enhanced Metal support is known to impact the rendering speeds of various iOS apps directly.
Additional Changes in Flutter 1.17Apart from the immediate changes and modifications detailed in the above sections, several other improvements are available with Flutter 1.17. Some of these vital alterations are:
- The implementation of the Type Scale segment from the 2018 Material Design arrangement has been successful fulfilled by Google; this is achieved without breaking the existing Flutter apps.
- Google has smartly refined the accessibility aspect of Flutter apps. These fixes are evident in text fields, scrolling, and different input-form widgets.
- You can now access Google Fonts related to the Flutter v1.0. Developers get the liberty to make use of any font available on fonts.google.com present in their app. Furthermore, it is solely the developer’s decision to bundle the font using the APK or allow the users to access the font by downloading from the API.
- The “fast start” option permits you to access Flutter app debugging at a 70% faster rate at the time of building an Android app.
- Google also has plans to switch the latest version of Dart DevTools to launch a fresh Flutter version. The topmost improvement offered by the newest Flutter Dart DevTools version is associated with the latest Network tab. Its purpose is to highlight the network traffic for your concerned Flutter app the moment you press the “Record” button.
Dart 2.8 Updates
- The team specifically highlighted their efforts in improving the null safety feature. According to sources, the team is willing to address the invalid references as a “billion-dollar-mistake”; however, the final testing is still pending.
- The pub has surpassed a count of 10,000 packages. It means the new Dart 2.8 version has improved significantly in terms of better visuals and visibility.
- The availability of edge cases, along with library changes, makes Dart 2.8 a smarter version.
- Major alteration with Pubget is a blessing for the developers as it would now take less time to gather all the packages.
- The most striking feature with this latest version is the offering of “out-of-date” dependencies. For instance, if you are using several repositories, packages, and plugins in an app, it gets difficult to spot the outdated version. However, you can now use a simplified feature that requires you to write the puboutdated command, and a proper list comprising all the outdated versions would be presented.
- Dart 2.8 provides a new tab within the networking tools. This particular Dart Dev tool tab offers assistance in analyzing almost all the network requests. This revised tool also provides a traffic inspection tool which is useful in debugging complex state conditions.